Monday, March 3, 2008

Beginning of the End

OK, so I know it's been a long time again, and I know there are no pictures to entertain you with--sorry about that guys. I'm still having computer issues; the guy who fixed it came by last night to deliver my repaired computer, and it was my computer (the shell, case, etc.) with someone else's C-drive (memory of the computer.) So basically, I have some other guy's programs, music pics, etc., and someone else has all of my stuff. He took an hour of my time searching for songs, files, etc. that might have been on my C-drive (though I told him from the get-go that it was NOT my machine) and then told me himself that it probably wasn't my C-drive afterall. He took the laptop back, so after 3 weeks, I am STILL without my laptop and STILL at the mercy of Steph and HUC's computers. And I'm pretty pissed off about it.

Welcome to the balagan that is Israel. I promise my complaining will end here.

Anyways, in general, life has been pretty good in the last 2 weeks. I've been busy with school, homework, learning repertoire, planning services, practicing my Megillah trope, schlepping through the Negev (expect a blog about our trip as soon as I can upload the pics--they're incredible), getting ready for Belarus, and more and more and more. They call the 2nd semester of the Year in Israel the "3-P's": Purim, Pesach, and Packing, and I'm beginning to realize how true this is. Time is flying because we're so busy, and before I know it, the semester and year in Israel will be over. On one hand, it's exciting to say that I will have accomplished a year of cantorial school and that I survived living in Israel. On the other, I'm sad to leave here. Not only have I fallen in love with many aspects of this country (computer repairmen aside) and built a relationship with this beautiful place, but I'm realizing that I might never again have an opportunity to live and study in Israel. I want to concentrate on studying ISRAEL this semester; her land, her secrets, her adventures. I need to take advantage of what I can before my time here is over and I begin my new adventure in NYC. I've already talked to people about planning weekend trips to various spots to visit new places and revisit some new favorite spots, so hopefully that will happen and I'll have lots to write about (and plenty of pictures, Whitney, I promise!)

I booked my flight home for the end of the year. As of May 24, I'll be back in the STL for the summer. I'm excited to go home, though I don't have any definite plans for the summer as of yet. I turned down a great opportunity to be the music leader for the JCC Camps, which probably wasn't the wisest financial or networking decision, but for vocal and personal reasons, I knew that it just wasn't the right job for me. I was able to see 2 of the rabbis from Temple Israel a couple of weeks ago, and Rabbi Feder and I discussed the possibility of maybe doing more at TI than just singing Friday nights in July. I'm hoping we can put something together that will give me some sort of income and, more importantly (in my opinion) some valuable job experience. I would love to try out some other leadership opportunities this summer, like delivering a D'var Torah or teaching some B'nai Mitzvah students. I'll keep you posted as to what turns up.

Oh! I was also asked by my former professor/advisor from Mizzou if I would lead her daughter's Bat Mitzvah service in July. I excitedly said 'yes' and will be leading my first-ever lifecycle event and solo service in Columbia this summer. I'm nervous about it, but so very excited and ready to take on the challenge. Dr Sims and I had a great relationship, and her daughter Rayna was one of my favorite Sunday School students, so I'm hoping this will be a beautiful and memorable experience for all involved.

Anyways, I am off to eat lunch and do some work. Keep your emails coming, and know that I am thinking of you, and that I will post pictures and other fun things the moment I get my computer back. Much love!

No comments: