Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricane Irene = Sunny Day Irene

Thanks for keeping up with me through the storm, folks. I'm okay! Turns out that it was more of a scare than anything, which is always a good thing. I'm currently hanging out at my friend Marsha's apartment, where I've been since about 6pm last night--we've had some heavy rain and rough winds, but our power in intact and we are perfectly safe. The sun is trying to peek out of the clouds as a means of telling us the worst is over. A few Astoria friends have already contacted me about meeting up for dinner later to celebrate the disaster that wasn't.

Marsha has truly been the hostess with the mostess--she made me DELICIOUS baked spinach ziti for dinner, provided me with a very comfortable couch to sleep on, and is now hard at work making me banana pancakes for breakfast as I blog and sip my iced coffee. I'm feeling incredibly blessed and lucky this morning to have such good friends in the area who help me to feel safe and secure in troubling times. It's really hitting me that a.) a year ago, I would have been alone right now and b.) I'll be leaving all of these wonderful people in less than a year. I'm so blessed to have finally found a community and made a life for myself, so I'm trying to push the negative thoughts out of my head and focus on the blessings that are abundant in my life right now. I'm feeling SO, SO fortunate that it doesn't make any sense to think about anything else besides gratitude.

I woke up singing the new melody for Psalm 150 that I learned at Kallah. How appropriate for "everything that breathes" to praise God on a day like today. I know I am breathing in all of the friendship, love and many blessings in my life.

And breathing out a huge sigh of relief.


No comments: